The Good Doctor

Guest Blog Filed by: IoGT Deputy Director of Medical Administration, Dr. Hugo Farringh BMSc.

Since joining the IoGT some 11 years ago, I have had ample opportunity through my countless after dinner speaking engagements to regale fellow senior industry professionals with the experience of my 2 decades in medical administration. The one story I think however best sums up the experience of myself and the average General Practitioner involves a former colleague Dr. David Williams.

Dr. Williams was a renowned physician who earned his undergraduate, graduate and medical degrees in his home town and then left for the city, where he quickly rose to the top of his field.




Soon he was invited to deliver a significant paper at a conference coincidentally held in his home town. He walked on stage and placed his papers on the lectern, but they slid off onto the floor.




As he bent over to retrieve them, at precisely the wrong instant, he inadvertently broke wind. The microphone amplified his mistake resoundingly through the auditorium and reverberated it down the hall.




He was quite embarrassed but somehow regained his composure and managed to deliver his paper. He ignored the resounding applause and raced out the stage door, never to be seen in his home town again.




Decades later, when his elderly mother was ill, he returned to visit her. He reserved a hotel room under the name of Levy and arrived under cover of darkness.



The desk receptionist asked him, "Is this your first visit to our city, Mr. Levy?"



Dr. Williams replied, "Well, young lady, no, it isn't. I grew up here and received my education here, but then I moved away." “Why haven't you visited?" asked the receptionist clerk.

“Actually, I did visit once, many years ago, but an embarrassing thing happened and since then I've been too ashamed to return."



As she passed him his room key the receptionist consoled him. "Sir, while I don't have your life experience, one thing I have learned is that often what seems embarrassing to me isn't even remembered by others. I bet that's true of your incident too."

Dr. Williams replied, "Miss, I doubt that's the case with my incident." "Was it a long time ago?" "Yes, many years." The receptionist asked, "Was it before or after the Williams Fart?"