Doing It By The Book

Guest Blog Filed by: Chief of tIoGT Campus Police, Snr. Sgt. Randy Macklin

I haven’t always been in the security game you know. Before heading up campus security here, I was for a time gainfully employed in the services of the National Marine Fisheries Service. And it was a time in my life that allowed me to combine my two great passions-recreational sailing, and law enforcement.

One morning whilst on patrol, I happened across a vessel anchored around 3 or 4 nautical miles off shore. I noticed the sole occupant was a Caucasian female in her early 30’s. Upon approaching the boat from the south-west I inquired "Good morning, Ma'am, what are you doing out here today?"


She advised that after her husband had returned earlier that morning after a fishing trip, she had decided to take the boat out. She had motored a few miles off shore where apparently it was her intention to either take a nap after reading a few chapters of her book.


She still had all the fishing gear in the boat, and being in a fairly irritable mood naturally I said "You're in a Restricted Fishing Area."

"I'm sorry, officer, but I'm not fishing. I'm reading." "Yes, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment. I'll have to take you in and write you up."

"For reading my book?" she replied. Given her surly tone I once again informed her "You're in a Restricted Fishing Area." "I'm sorry, officer, but I'm not fishing. I'm reading" "Yes, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment. I'll have to take you in and write you up."

"If you do that, I'll have to charge you with sexual assault," said the woman. "But I haven't even touched you," I quickly replied. "That's true, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment."

I said "Have a nice day ma'am," and left.


MORAL: Never argue with a woman who reads. It's likely she can also think.